Turmeric, as you know, is a plant from the ginger family. One of the active ingredients in turmeric is curcumin, which has been known to offer a number of benefits. This is why nutritionists and even medical experts recommend that you add turmeric to your regular diet. Here’s a look at the top health benefits of curcumin:
- Curcumin has been known to be effective for people suffering from cancer. In fact, research is still ongoing about the impact of curcumin on cancer. According to findings published in a review study, curcumin proved as, if not more, effective at fighting off a number of types of cancer, including colon, liver, and prostate cancer, as the medication which is generally prescribed for cancer patients. In particular, people at risk of skin cancer can benefit from an increased intake of curcumin via turmeric.
- It is common knowledge that turmeric is good for the bones. This is why one of the health benefits of curcumin is relief from joint pain. People suffering from arthritis and other conditions which cause joint pain might benefit from consuming curcumin. In fact, curcumin is safer and more effective at providing relief from joint pain as the medicines available on the market.
- Perhaps among the most important health benefits of curcumin is that people suffering from diabetes or those at risk of diabetes will notice an improvement in their condition. According to a study, participants who were given curcumin supplements for a period of 9 months and who were at risk of diabetes did not develop the condition. On the other hand, the placebo group was eventually diagnosed with diabetes.
- Curcumin is an effective substance against inflammation. As you might know, inflammation is a leading cause of heart disease, and controlling inflammation can help you protect your heart health. This has been proven in a number of studies conducted on animals thus far, but research is going on to determine the extent to which curcumin can boost heart health.
- Last, but not the least, people suffering from diabetes can suffer from a number of complications due to their condition. These include a drop in cognitive function. Using curcumin can restore the parts of the brain affected by disease, as has been proven by a lab study on animals.
These are some of the top health benefits of curcumin. As you can see, it can prove a valuable addition to your regular diet.